The Senior Manufacturing Engineer establishes and directs manufacturing practices, processes, procedures, facilities, tools and equipment for production. This position utilizes “lean manufacturing” principles to minimize inventory, maximize throughput, and optimize facility utilization. The position requires broad technical experience in a fast growing manufacturing environment. This will include manufacturing of raw materials, machining, polymeric processing, glass finishing, coatings, optical bonding, electro-mechanical assembly and optical metrology. The manufacturing engineer will also be supporting New Product Introduction (NPI) of multiple products in a short time to the market environment. The Manufacturing Engineer will support our Displays Business Unit.
- Develop and maintain work instructions, process control procedures and operating procedures.
- Support introduction of new products onto the production floor, ensuring manufacturing readiness.
- Improve existing manufacturing processes and equipment including preventive maintenance program.
- Work closely with product development teams to ensure products are designed for manufacturability.
- Establish appropriate methods, tools, equipment, etc. required to produce products in keeping with the Quality Management System and related standards
- Conduct time studies and establish labor standards for products.
- Analyze and plan work force utilization, space requirements, workflow, and designs layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Analyze defect and root cause and propose corrective action
- Develop new processes based on new technology requirements
- Provide significant input during Production Readiness Review
- Create and review ECOs, and support implementation and phase in of product changes.
- Utilize and promote the use of lean manufacturing and six-sigma concepts
- Provide daily, hands-on support to production line, QA and Design engineering for all matters
- Provide support in supplier quality, in-process quality and efficiency improvement efforts.
- Directly lead improvement projects using DMAIC methodology
Skills, education, and experience requirements
- BS degree in Engineering with minimum of 5-10 years of relevant experience preferably in aerospace industry
- Experience in flat panel AMLCD in aerospace applications: An in-depth understanding of LCD technology and display systems including bonding, lamination and module design.
- Ability to improve processes and resolve technical problems
- Familiar with Visio software, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks
- Experience with electro-mechanical assembly, liquid and dry optical bonding, various types of adhesives, cleanroom practices, environmental test equipment
- Knowledge of optical thin film coating design, process, inspection and knowledge of spectro-radiometer and photometers
- Knowledge of Military environmental specifications and aerospace lighting specifications is a plus
- Understand the Minimum experience with CNC machining of glass, aluminum and polymers, plastic transformation processes
- Demonstrated ability to perform PFEMA, DOE, SPC, Six Sigma continuous improvement tools
- Experience in managing employees including training, coaching